Monday, August 15, 2016

Admit it. It's about gender.

So, the new Ghostbusters gets criticized a lot. The trailer was immensly disliked and even before anyone has seen anything of it, people were already hating it. Now I haven't seen it myself and therefore can't say if it's actually bad or quite enjoyable, but that's besides the point. Because it wasn't disliked because it's so goddamn terrible as most of the hate build up before it was even out. Why's that?

Is it because it's a reboot of a beloved franchise?
Can't be. Reboots are generally well recepted. Just look at Star Trek or the wildly successful Jurassic World. Yes, of course these movies, too, had purists who complained about this change or that, but that didn't put a dent into the exorbitant amount of money these movies made.

Is it because people are finally getting sick of Hollywood's lack of creativity?
Nuh-uh. Hollywood's lack of creativity has kept the film industry running for years. The most successful movies are adaptions, sequels, prequels, spin-offs or reboots. Hollywood relies on these things, because they're guaranteed to make money. And they do. Aside from tired movie critics most people seem absolutely fine with the current practice.

Is it because the trailer/footage/etc. was genuinely horrible?
Well, I can't speak for you obviously, but to me it looked good. It looked just as funny as every other American comedy. The footage looked really cool and the actresses are well liked. (And there's Chris Hemsworth.)

So. Why do people hate it so much?
They're women. It's because it's a genderswitch reboot. That's apparently a problem. People come up with any of the above excuses, but in the end they're just that. Excuses. It's not hated because it's an unfunny reboot, it's because it's a reboot replacing men with women. I'm sure some people hate the movie, because they honestly thought it was bad, but the greatest part of the criticism is in its core sexist.

That's just something I wanted to get off my chest seeing as there's an Ocean's 11 spin-off with women on the way and it unfortunately looks like it's already accumulating the same hate.

Satori loves Ocean's and is looking forward to the spin-off

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am in my mid 20s and finished my university career. My areas of study included media analysis, literary and cultural studies, linguistics, and history. I like reading, drawing, writing, movies, TV, friends, traveling, dancing and all kinds of small things that make me happy. Just trying to spread some love.

Books of 2023

A quick round up of the novels I read last year: Maggie Stiefvater - Greywaren    Third installment of the Dreamers trilogy in which differe...