Friday, December 10, 2021

"Bad" movies I enjoy 3 - The Covenant

The Covenant
(Ratings: 4/62)

The remarkable thing about this rating is that its audience score is over 50 but its critical score is the lowest on the list. It’s lower than Catwoman if you can believe that, meaning this movie has fans and the fans are dedicated enough to drag the score all the way up to 62, which is better than almost every single movie on this list except for King Arthur.

The Covenant is a story about four male teenage witches that get attacked by a fifth witch who wants to steal their powers. This fifth witch is played by Sebastian Stan who would go on to be a fan favorite in the MCU. In that world magic is addictive and it’s all well and good until you ascend on your 18th birthday and reach your full potential, because the more magic you use afterwards, the faster you age and eventually die, which is why Sebastian Stan witch wants to kill the first of the group to turn 18 and steal his power. He doesn’t realize that he will still die but he also doesn’t much care.

There’s no need to sugarcoat it, this movie is bad. Rife with cheap effects, baffling writing, actors clearly in their 20s playing teenagers, and that good early 2000s sexism. Yet if you asked me what I would change to make this movie better, or good even, I’d have to tell you: nothing. This movie is perfect as it is.

Should you watch it? - Yes! It’s bad but in a way that’s enjoyable to watch. The dudes are also shirtless and sweaty quite a bit, if that’s a selling point for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am in my mid 20s and finished my university career. My areas of study included media analysis, literary and cultural studies, linguistics, and history. I like reading, drawing, writing, movies, TV, friends, traveling, dancing and all kinds of small things that make me happy. Just trying to spread some love.

Books of 2023

A quick round up of the novels I read last year: Maggie Stiefvater - Greywaren    Third installment of the Dreamers trilogy in which differe...