Saturday, October 24, 2020

Stuff I liked as a child/teen 1: Primeval

I’m not sure I like the title of this new series of posts. But I do like the concept. Being ashamed about your harmless interests is not what I want to do with my life, instead I want to embrace my past for what it was and I’d encourage you to do the same. So, here goes stuff I liked as a child/teen.
 

First off, a British show that technically ran from 2007-2011 (so from the time I was 13 to the time I was 17), by the time it ended, however, I wasn’t watching it anymore. Too much had changed. Seasons 1-3 is where it’s at. For this show ‘like’ is probably too tame a word. For a while Primeval was it for me.

But what is Primeval? Imagine time broke apart and out of the wormholes dinosaurs escaped and had to be brought back to their time - ideally without eating a bunch of people. Every week our crew of accidental heroes needs to find the dinosaur in question and coral it back through the wormhole, while making sure not to get eaten themselves. That’s basically it. Simple wacky premise with a pretty solid execution. And okay, the creature cgi might not hold up anymore but what cgi from that time does.

What did I like about it? I really enjoyed the different creatures (apart from classics like t-rex and raptors, they even had spores and viruses at some point and creatures from the future) and the slow uncovering of the mystery behind the wormholes, but most importantly I enjoyed the cast of characters consisting of government agents, a paleontology professor, a zoologist, and my favorite, a paleontology student who also happens to be brilliant with computers and technology in general.



I zeroed in on him and Connor became not only my favorite character of the show but one of my favorite characters in general at that time. Two years ago I had the wonderful opportunity to meet his actor Andrew Lee Potts at a convention and all my teenage affections came to the forefront again and I suddenly felt 10 years younger. I managed to get my autograph and it made me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am in my mid 20s and finished my university career. My areas of study included media analysis, literary and cultural studies, linguistics, and history. I like reading, drawing, writing, movies, TV, friends, traveling, dancing and all kinds of small things that make me happy. Just trying to spread some love.

Books of 2023

A quick round up of the novels I read last year: Maggie Stiefvater - Greywaren    Third installment of the Dreamers trilogy in which differe...